Thursday, October 06, 2005

I'm a retarded agoraphobic

I was emailing a friend of mine yesterday who two seconds after telling me that he'd just read my blog, felt compelled to send me this:

I'm so over blogs and bloggers... Bloggers, I have come to realise, are only a rung above those dipshits who hang out in chat rooms wasting their lives, calling themselves stupid names like "Savannah" and "Princess" and typing shit like <Princess ggls> ...

Seriously dude, I know we've had some interestingish chats about the medium but as a topic for analysis it's over. And as a passtime? Who the fuck has the time? And of those who do, surely only those chronically lacking in imagination and creativity would choose to blog. I'm not saying that nothing blogged is worthy, nor am I saying that there aren't whole blogs that are worthy (these tend to morph into actual "websites"). I'm just saying that there are better avenues for expressing information of worth than blogs which tend to degenerate into crappy little online cliques of retarded agoraphobiacs talking about their pets.

</rant>


I was mildly alarmed (and amused) to discover that my friend feels that I am "chronically lacking in imagination" or that I'm a "retarded agoraphobic", but he assures that he is referring to all those other bloggers out there and not me. I guess I've never really thought for a second that this site couold be a serious place for analysis. As for having the time? what can I say? I have no life.

So why am I posting my friend's rant here?

Firstly I want to prove how endlessly creative and imaginative I am (not). Secondly I want to make sure that this anonymous friend of mine lives on the blogosphere that he hates so much and finally because it made me laugh. I am after all a very shallow (retarded agoraphobic) person.

Oh and finally, this isnt a picture of my cat, but for some absurd reason people keep finding our blog by searching for "the world's ugliest cat" so darn it, I thought I'd give them something to look at.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say your friend is the one that shows a lack of imagination. Would he dismiss books in the same way had he only read Dannielle Steel and Anne Rice? Would he dismiss magazines after leafing through an issue of Smash Hits and not finding worthy of his lofty analysis?

Since he finds blogging so banal, does he offer an alternatice mechanism for expressing information of worth? There are few equals in terms of speed and accessablitly.

2:48 pm  
Blogger tchick said...

as was evidenced by our boys recent Moroccon prison blogging disaster ...

2:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There are few equals in terms of speed and accessablitly."(sic)

I think that was my point. Just because you can say (publish) something easily doesn't mean you should and in the case of most bloggers it's absolutely evident that they should not.

I agree with you that the web is a great, quick and highly accessible medium. Blogs are only a small part of the web though in case you hadn't noticed from you perch in the blogosphere...

Anyway, I'd encourage anyone who thinks they have something worthwhile to convey to the world to break out of the blog mentality and either contribute to established publications in their field of expertise or else show some gumption and actually publish a coherent site rather than a inane, stream of conciousness blog about everything but at the same time, nothing. In other words, apply youself to your craft rather then just throwing rubbish from you pathetic lives out into a public place. Perhaps the distinction between website and blog is blurred, I concede. But there is a common thread that runs through most blogging I read and it's not golden it's poo coloured. I'd estimate one in one hundred blogs are worthy of even a cursory look.

Here's a seminal link that you may be interested to read. I don't agree with all of it but it echos much of what I think.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/2/171117/8823

Cheers! ;)

4:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree most blogs are poo rather than gold. My point is that this is true of all forms of media. It is more apparent with blogs becuase of there accessibility. That next blog button is no more likely to land you on something that interests you than picking up a random novel in a book store.

5:05 pm  
Blogger RandomWeirdo said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha tchick

6:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tchick, you certainly are obliging.

7:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Site Counter