Thursday, October 27, 2005

Do YOU feel like Chicken Tonight, like Chicken Tonight?

This is a link to an article in which wunderchef Gordon Ramsay decries the poor culinary skills of today's Woman. He's making a new TV show featuring Britons in their home kitchens, and he's gobsmacked and a little bit disgusted to discover that some women can't cook, have no intention of learning or even trying to cook, and that they subsist on frozen meals, take-aways and the like.

I wonder whether this will cause a ruckus? Some sisters might be upset, interpreting Gordon’s Ramsay's disdain as implying that a woman’s place in the kitchen, goddammit!, regardless of whether she has been operating on brains or overseeing the m+a of multi-billion multinationals all day. Has he no idea exactly how busy the 21st century superwoman actually is?

Maybe modern raunch culture biatches don’t care about cooking, eating and nutrition as much as they care about attracting attention from men? Sounds like Gordon hasn’t noticed that cooking is old-skool, an antiquated life skill irrelevant in an age where Girls Go(ne) Wild! and enter wet t-shirt competitions because they are empowered and in charge of their own sexualization! Yay!

Am I supposed to hate Gordon Ramsay because he hates it when people can't and won't cook? I hate this too. It's just that my hatred doesn't distinguish between the genders. I love to cook, and more importantly, I love to eat, so I don’t care how snobbish I sound.

I was in the kitchen once when a woman of my acquaintance found it funny that I was making a tomato sauce from scratch, because (you’ll have to imagine the nasal bogan whine here) "tomato sauce already comes in jars at the supermarket."

Actually, tomato sauce doesn’t come in jars from the supermarket . What’s in those jars is an overly sugary one-dimensional substance vaguely reminiscent - but at the same time completely unlike - sugo.

We both learned something that day. She learned that tomato sauce doesn’t have to come from the supermarket. And I? Well, I discovered that spaghetti Napoli is made by dumping a jar of Dolmio on top of a plate of pasta over which you then grate Coon cheese. It’s apparently great because you don’t even have to warm the Dolmio up first!

Men can be equally disgusting. I would routinely throw up after a weekend at an ex’s place because - among many other crimes against my finely calibrated digestion - he laboured under the misapprehension that curry flavoured Continental Pasta & Sauce was a vegetable. I’m sorry, but how many things are wrong with this putative foodstuff? It's pre-parcooked pasta in a bag (wrong) with a dehydrated sauce (wrong), which you bring to life by adding margarine and low-fat milk (both of which are abominations; ersatz products, masquerading as proper, nourishing foods = so wrong). It’s ‘pasta’ in a 'creamy' 'curry' sauce (how many types of wrong is this?), which would usually be served alongside a thoroughly (and likely purposefully, the bastard) overcooked steak bought from the supermarket (don’t get me started on how wrong this is). And that’s it. Bon appetit, baby. I still feel bilious thinking about it seven years later.

It’s not funny or cute to not know how to cook. It’s very wasteful to buy ready meals and prepared products - with your hard earned cash, you’re purchasing lots of packaging and some tasteless and bland substitute for a real meal. Something that is kinda like dinner, but its relationship to actual food is like the relationship of nu-metal to actual music. Or a Matthew Reilly novel to a book worth reading. Or - given this is a food themed post - a Big Mac to a burger from Andrew's in Albert Park.

In case you didn’t know this already, convenience foods are full of chemicals necessary to keep them from spoiling, caking, separating and being rendered otherwise inedible, and also to colour and season them to resemble the actual food being parodied. It is unlikely that these additives are necessary for the overall health and wellbeing of humans.

And I don’t mind if you call me a communist, but I’m not that interested in buying food from multinational corporations whose interests are profits before purveying quality products. Who conduct cost/benefit analyses to determine whether there’s a buck to be made out of poisoning you. Have you read Fast Food Nation and Seeds of Deception? Maybe you should; you’d be much less inclined to unthinkingly purchase foods that are likely contaminated (literally) with (actual) shit, or contain genetically modified ingredients, or scarily enough both.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

I gave up eating McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut etc full stop 4 years ago; not for health reasons, but because of their poor labour and environmental practices, and the fact that they rae at the front of US cultural Imperialism. When I read Fast Food Nation, it made me glad I did!

10:39 am  
Blogger knifey said...

it's not often people use the word "ersatz" any more.

Bravo!!!

1:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Supercilious" isn't used that much either but I'm dusting it off right about now.

Okay countess lets take a few things as given. Firstly you are obviously tremendously well read. You're across all sorts of topics like feminist theory, politics, leather, heavy metal... It's just mind boggling really ain't it? So, umm, alright already. Whatever you're trying to prove, cut the damn name-checking already before you turn into a nu-hip-hop artist or perhaps his bootay...

I'm suspecting you're either a law or humanities student. Mainly because this sort of twaddle is de rigeur for your "too cool for school" arts/law undergrad and secondly because whenever you lurch towards anything vaguely scientific you come up all clueless like...

I sometimes try to picture a writer when I read their work. It seems you're channelling the schoolgirl off the recently screened "Australian of the year" mockumentary.

Anyway sweetheart, I'm a bloke and a bogon and I'll cook you under the table, sugo or no.

Your dissing of bogons and their accents I find intriguing also. Do we have some nasal sounding relatives we're desperately trying to set ourselves apart from perhaps? What could be more hideous and worthy of disdain than a bogon rello in the closet or perhaps a slightly bogon upbringing? Is not vilification of bogons analogous to homophobia from men who are petrified as to the reality and bounds of their own sexuality?

Now for your homework can you please find any causal link whatsoever between GM foodstuffs and "poisoning" or ill health. None exists. If you want to talk about genetic patents being evil, seed licensing and/or the exploitation of farmers by the likes of Monsanto, sure, lets get it on. But to suggest that GM (which has been practised for a loooong time now) results in somehow tainted food is just based in fear and ignorance. And I personally find it irksome that someone like you who is obviously from a priveleged background and who has had substantiantial amounts of money spent on their education would promulgate such FUD. Had it crossed your mind that GM technology results in people who may otherwise have gone hungry being fed, or is that too far from your cloistered perspective?

Nuff said!

3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to point out that I didn't write the above!

11:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check it, laydeez, a major diss!

Yup, guilty as charged - I have an arts/law degree and I do read a lot. My bad, obviously.

As for cooking me under the table, are you challenging me to a cook-off? Sounds alright to me! I don't recall suggesting that blokes can't cook anywhere in my post; having been the recipeint of many delicious dinners cooked by blokes in professional and non-professional capacities it would be a bit silly of me to say something like that.

No, vilifucation of bogans is not analogous to homophobia. I don't see any evidence of hate crimes being committed against bogans; or defence counsel suggesting that 'bogan panic' should reduce a charge of murder to one of manslaughter; or of bogans being rejected by their families and friends upon their 'coming out'.


And may I direct your attention to 'Seeds of Deception', in which and the science behind my assertion that GM foods are nutritionally void and often dangerous is completely documented. The most revolting part of the GM saga is that that developing nations are being used are having quantities of these dangerous products dumped on them, in spite of extant knowledge that the foods are often nutrient deficient and downright harmful. The scandal of Golden Rice being an example of the problematic nature of GM foods and their ability to adequately feed developing nations.

If you wish to believe the research funded by Monsanto et al, that is your prerogative. It is mine to prefer research conducted independently and with integrity.

Thank you! Please come again and we can continue this riveting exchange. But can I ask that you adopt a username or get your own blogging account, so that I can create a stronger mental image of who *you* actually are?

12:05 pm  
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Well Countess and Right-wing annonymous, like You Countess, I also have an arts-law degree. However my background is definately not "privileged"; my background is so working class it hurts; you could say my background is bogan, or as we say in Sydney Westie.

However like many "Westies" I know, I worked hard to better myself, with the active support and determination of my parents. Thus it is wrong to confuse a dislike of bogan ignorance and homophobia; one cannot change their sexual orientation, one can pull themselves out of ignorance.

Guess what anon. - I used to represent scientists, so I do know a bit about Science. As any scientist who is not on the corporate payroll will tell you, the GM food companies do not conduct their tests with any sort of scientific rigour; they run tests to get the results they want. The government departments who should be monitoring them aren't because they are chronically underfunded and because the GM companies donate money to political parties to ensure they aren't investigated properly.

Problems with GM food (othe than the ones alreaady identified above) are:

1. Lack of information on the long term consequences of people eating it; there was been a lack of any serious study on this because business claims it is too "time consuming", and the companies need to get these new "wonder-foods" out to the public ASAP. Your average make-up product has probably been tested more rigorously.

2. Lack of testing on the suitability of GM food for different environments. Again, given the superficial testing, while some GM food may be suitable (from an environmental point of view) for parts of the US or Australia, they may not be for parts of Africa, but due to lack of suitable testing we will never know. However GM food crops are pushed onto 3rd world countries. This leads me to my third point.

3. Destruction of biodiversity. By pushing GM food crops onto third world countries, we have already started to see certain strains of crops die out in their natural environment. If it is later found out (more a case of when, not if) that the GM crops that replaced them are susceptable to certain diseases, this will likely result greater famine, not less.

Anon, you fall into the John Howard trap; you attack anybody who holds a view that is not propogated by the right-wing media in this (and other) country as being a member of the elite out of touch with the people. The unfortunate reality is that most people aren't particulalry educated on the truths of the modern Western world; where they to be, they would also hold the same views the "elites" do. However Howard and the media have a vested interest in ensuring this does not happen, and work hard to ensure that it doesn't.

6:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Site Counter