Friday, August 19, 2005

I blog, therefore...

I am bored. And usually at work. Madly procrastinating.

Which speaks volumes for the esteem in which I hold this medium. It serves a purpose, which is to distract me from things that are more important. Blogging is like eating fast food for me, in the sense that it fills a gap rather than ultimately satiating. That's a crappy analogy, but most of the time I feel like a bit of a blogging fraud - I don't talk about my 'deepest' feelings, my relationships, or any mental traumas suffered. I don't post photos, meet fellow bloggers IRL (aside of those I already know, of course) and I don't post on the blogs of others. I guess the one blogging 'convention' I do have down is that I use 'I' a lot

Anyway, I'm bored a fair bit but I don't spend every moment of that time blogging. About how bored I am. Which is dull and self-indulgent and the essence of blogging... anyway, the point of this all is that when I am bored but not bored enough to blog, I am often doing something else fairly pointless on the 'net.

For the most inane chat ever, I visit the forums at vogue.com.au. How many fake designer handbags do you have? Stand up vs lie down solariums. This model is ugly/that model is stunning. I am dumber for just having read this stuff.

I sometimes correspond with people I know and see on a regular or semi-regular basis here, where we talk about things like the best songs to listen to on Black Friday, who would win in a fight between Glenn Danzig and Trent Reznor, and have roll calls for various gigs and events. It's not really any more substantial than voguechat, but please, I don't tan and I don't have any designer fakes. And I love Danzig.

Because I'm not a complete dimwit, I also read international papers online, and regularly check out various news and opinion sites. Like Christopher Hitchens, who I admired so much once and am now somewhat confused by. Hence my keeping an eye on him.

But my secret (well, not any more!) passion is checking out other blogs. Should I just kill myself now because my life has been reduced to this? I could (and have) spent hours of precious work time reading about other people's sexual excesses/frustrations, looking at pictures of their pets wearing clothes, or marvelling at the depth and power of their political analyses (John Howard is a cunt-rag! Amanda Vanstone is fat! These are slogans and policies that must be adopted by the ALP post-haste! *pauses to ring relevant Policy Committees*).

As an aside, while exploring the blogosphere I discovered that there are people (well, a person at least) who felt as saddened and ripped off by Tim losing to the Logans on Big Brother 5 as he/she did when the Howard Government was re-elected last year. And no, I am not making this up to support my thesis that other bloggers are inane to the point of idiocy - as much as I wish I was.

Wanna know where to go for a laugh, and where to go to waste precious minutes of your life that you'll never get back? Call me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Site Counter